Friday, August 2, 2013

Addicted to online back-to-school shopping

It happens each summer, as school approaches I start looking for deals online. This summer is no exception. I have been buying so many fun things for school...

1- A banner for my Forensic Science Class
 


I just love the website http://www.shindigz.com/. Every once in a while they send out a great offer for cheap banners. This is the third one I've ordered from the website and got it for less than $10. It is 18" x 54" (really big) and great quality! I plan to hang it over my doorway on lab days to get the kids excited, and tell my other students not to mess with the lab set-up. With my grant money not only did I buy lab kits, but I also got an inflatable 'dead body', fake blood, bullet hole decals, etc. so I can make the room look like a real crime scene! I can't wait. I will for sure post photos when the first lab arrives!

2- "toys" for my study hall students.

I'm having study hall in my room this year. Usually it is in the cafeteria and students can be spread out so they can't talk or goof off. This year study hall is during lunch so the cafeteria isn't available and I  have to have it in my room. It is hard to get kids to study for a whole hour and not talk, especially when they claim "I have nothing to do". So rather than arguing, I decided to make a bin of little knick-knacks to keep kids busy (and still quiet) when they run out of work. Some of the items I purchased are:
  • Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty from Amazon.com - love this stuff but kind of expensive. These two change color which add an extra element of fun.
  • Puzzle Balls from Oriental Trading Company - not exactly sure how these work but they got great reviews

  • Water Games from Old Navy - these totally remind me of the 80s; I used to love them. Hopefully the kids will too! (these aren't the exact ones I bought but you get the gist)


If you can think of any other little toys the kids can play with alone and quietly to add to my study hall bucket, let me know :)

3- Growing Sea Life Characters


I thought I could use these is an osmosis lab. Last year I used gummy bears, which work great and swell up huge, but kids felt like eating them. This solves that problem. They were a great price at Oriental Trading and should hopefully work well!

4- Pencil Sharpeners


Also from Oriental Trading. I got a great deal on these, $6.25 for 72 of them!

5- Design It Yourself Frogs from Oriental Trading


I love these. They come in white, and kids can decorate them however they want. I always have a 'fun day' on Earth Day and the students love these. Last year I ran out so I used Oriental Trading's Free Shipping time to stock up :)


I also gave in and bought 2 cases of caffeine water from Amazon.com. I am so used to staying up super late (3:30am) all summer, my body is going to hate me when I have to start waking up at 4:45am again for school. Yikes! I am not ready. Needless to say, I will need this stuff! I bought 2 different types this time, my usual Avitae and another brand to try something new.


The shopping didn't stop there, I have a whole box of various supplies I picked up at a lot of different stores. I am not made of money, but I just can't resist this time of year. I just love school shopping!

Ok, well I need to get ready because I am going camping in a little bit. I can't wait! Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love those growing sea creatures!! Great way to teach osmosis for sure!

    ReplyDelete