Monday, June 25, 2012

Landfill

Summer has been so busy I haven't had time to post lately!

Last week I took a class through Stark-Tuscarawas-Wayne Joint Solid Waste Management District. The class was all about recycling and was very interesting! Part of the day we went on a field trip and saw a landfill. It was really neat to see and very surprising to me. It was as huge as I expected, but didn't smell nearly as bad. In fact, it didn't really smell at all! The areas of the landfill that are full are covered with tarps, which is what kept the bad smell to a minimum I think. I learned that at any given time they only expose about an acre of the landfill. Each day they compact the trash that is dropped off and cover it with dirt. In fact, our bus was driving on top of 80 feet of compacted trash and dirt. The landfill owns 921 acres but are only allowed to use 170 of it for trash, the surrounding area is a buffer and is actually gorgeous land full of trees, green grass, and lots of activites like hiking, fishing, etc. Here are a few pics from the day.




Anyways, that was my last class for this summer. I am going to spend the rest of my summer volunteering at the Akron Zoo, hanging out with friends, going camping, and who knows what else.

Expect a lot more updates in the fall, but for now, I will post neat things as I discover them.

Here is a neat link I found, called Science in the Kitchen. Enjoy! http://kidsactivitiesblog.com/science-in-the-kitchen/ I especially like the mini-lab called 'eating nails for breakfast' in which magnets are used to extract iron from cereal. Cool :)

No comments:

Post a Comment