Saturday, September 7, 2013

Forensic Science Fun

My Forensic Science students seem to be enjoying the class so far. It makes me really happy to see them so interested and engaged. I have had no behavior problems so far, and some of these kids were not my best students last year. It really shows that they do act out when they are bored or not interested in the content; but can behave when they want.

This week we are doing our first crime scene lab. My principal is letting me use half of one of our unused rooms to set it up. Friday I roped it off with Crime Scene Tape, and Monday I plan to stay after to stage the crime. I bought an inflatable victim, fake blood, etc. with grant money and tonight I went to a Halloween store and bought a few more props. Because they haven't learned any techniques yet (fingerprinting, handwriting analysis, blood typing, etc. all come later) this lab is just about sketching the crime, collecting evidence, and other basic concepts. I hope students will enjoy it!

I already have typed a Crime Scene Security log for students to sign in, and tonight I made them all FBI style ID cards. I always love little details to make things more fun, I just hope my students don't think it is corny! Here is what they look like:


Tomorrow I need to type a warrant, the lab directions, and pre-lab questions. It is going to be a busy day of school work! I also have to grade my Biology labs from last week, and type some more docs for Forensic Science, including a test and review worksheet! Too bad there aren't more hours in a day!

Anyways, I posted a few more docs on TeachersPayTeachers. Here is the next PowerPoint in my Forensics series. I am so happy other teachers have been downloading them and leaving positive feedback!



Well, I hope you had a great weekend! It is late and I have lots of work to do tomorrow so I better head to bed. Sweet dreams!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea! No wonder they're engaged and having fun - that sounds like such a great activity! I hope everything goes well for sketching the crime scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I find the ID cards? Is this on your tpt store?

    ReplyDelete